Early show at the Wreckroom this evening…

Note to all progressive, dual-drummer, indie-sludge enthusiasts: If you’re gonna show up after 10 for the Kylesa gig tonite, better bring your dancing shoes.  The Annex Wreckroom is a venue that knows which side its bread is buttered, and as such, tonite’s gig is an early show–doors @ 7, Kylesa @ 9.  Don’t say you weren’t warned.

While I’m otherwise not a fan of the early evening concert, I can’t really complain this time around.  The gig ends in time for me to catch the Flames and Nucks on CBC, then head over to CKLN to do my show at 1 am.  Since Smokin’ Green moved to Saturday nites, I can only think of one gig I’ve been to that ended before I had to leave and hit the studio, and that was Mares of Thrace @ Rancho Relaxo back in the summertime.  I was pleasantly surprised.

While I’ve not been to an early show at the Wreckroom before, I’m familiar with the concept.  Remember the FunHaus–the dark, dingy goth club on Queen St that’s now the second floor of a Shopper’s Drug Mart?  (They used to have a back room that played metal on Friday nites, when beers were only a buck-fifty.)  Can’t say I really miss that place, though I had seen a couple decent shows there.  One I’ll always remember was Macabre in December 2007.

I showed up kinda late, coming from another concert at Reilly’s on Yonge, which is now the third floor of–well, actually I’m not sure if they’ve put anything up there.  Anyways, I was under the impression that the Chicago grindsters would go on at 10:30.  When I got there, I found out it was 10–but they hadn’t started playing yet, as there were sound difficulties between Corporate Death’s wireless headset mic and the stage monitors.  So I didn’t miss a song, which was good.

Mind you, the delayed start time of the set left a lotta goth kids standing outside, waiting for the concert to end so they could attend the Depeche Mode Dance Party afterwards.  This being early December, it was rather cold outside, and a few decided they’d rather watch Macabre, sitting in the corner of the room, than freeze to death in their thigh-high boots.  So that was interesting, to say the least…

What with the delay, the dance party began the minute Macabre’s set ended, as the goths swarmed the dancefloor before the band even got its gear off stage.  A lotta confused metal heads made their way to the exits pretty quickly, that’s for sure.

Anyways, I’ll be at the Wreckroom for Kylesa this evening.  I just hope they’ll hold off on the Depeche Mode until I’m a safe distance from the building.



P.S.: I’ll be playing a whole buncha Georgia mudsludge on Smokin’ Green tonite, with tunes from Kylesa, Baroness, Zoroaster, Harvey Milk and more!  Be sure to tune in from 1 till 3 am at 88.1 fm on yer radio, channel 947 on yer TV or www.ckln.fm on yer computer!

Seahawks/Stamps/Flames/Zags/Jays/Raptors fan and lifelong metal head with a beer gut and a self-deprecating sense of humour. Reviewer/blogger (Yon Senior Doomsayer) for Hellbound.ca.