Another round of playlists and picks from the Hellbound team. In this edition we look back on our soundtracks for the summer (or, in one case, winter) that was and forward to the new season ahead with some recommendations and anticipation.
Most Anticipated: Four shows in two weeks, followed by Halloween!
Most Dreaded: The deluge of Deafheaven.
Summer Watching: Penny Dreadful
Summer Reading: The Terror, Dan Simmons
Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov
Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Chips & Beer, Issue #9
Most anticipated albums of the fall:
Clutch – Psychic Warfare
Vhöl – Deeper Than Sky
Shining – International Blackjazz Society
Gruesome Greg’s feel-good albums of the summer:
1. Kadavar – Berlin (Nuclear Blast)
2. Witchsorrow – No Light Only Fire (Candlelight)
3. High on Fire – Lumniferous (E1)
4. King Giant – Black Ocean Waves (indie)
5. Saint Vitus – Born Too Late (SST 1986)
Now Reading: Londoners by Craig Taylor (HarperCollins)
Looking forward to… AC/DC in Ottawa and Toronto, Iron Maiden 2016 tix going on sale (no price too high!), figuring out WTF to watch at TIFF
My soundtrack to a Southern Hemisphere winter:
Tau Cross – S/T
Northumbria – Helluland
Sunn O))) Meets Nurse with Wound – The Iron Soul of Nothing
Dispirit – Separation
Abyssion – Luonnon harmonia ja vihreä liekki
Highly anticipated by me in the upcoming weeks…
Iron Maiden – Book of Souls !!!!!!!!
Black Breath – Slaves Beyond Death
Clutch – Psychic Warfare
Queensryche – Condition Human
W.A.S.P. – Golgotha
Vhol – Deeper Than Sky
Horrendous – Anareta
Stryper – Fallen
Saxon – Battering Ram
Things I recommend as you settle into autumn and then winter’s embrace.
Re-watch Fringe all over again: it’s been a marvellous winter treat to tuck into.
Sit down to some weird and wonderful UK comedy from recent years, including shows like The Mighty Boosh, Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace, Man to Man with Dean Learner, and The League of Gentlemen.
Read, The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band that Burned a Million Pounds, by John Higgs. Superb music writing. An incredibly oddball tale. And the books is packed with arcane knowledge and genuinely eccentric characters.
Read, The Humans (comic). Recommended to me by Hellbound alumnus Kyle Antivenin, and an absolute turbo-charged blast of simian pandemonium.
Read, Julian Cope’s Copendium. Some of the most madcap music writing ever published. I wish I could write like the Arch Druid Cope. His often surreal musings on music, life, history and art are well worth repeated reading.
1. Noisem – Blossoming Decay (A389): These young lads are great motivation for endless lawn maintenance. a389recordings.bandcamp.com/album/blossoming-decay
2. Second Sun – Hopp/Fortvivlan (Electric Assault): The lyrics are in Swedish but the tunes are sweet. Retro rock gold. electricassaultrecords.bandcamp.com/album/hopp-f-rtvivlan
3. Dope Smoker – III, and Volume 4 (self): No explanation necessary. dopesmoker.bandcamp.com/album/dope-smoker-vol-4
4. Immortal Bird – Empress/Abscess (Broken Limbs/Manatee Rampage): Totally vicious. Gets the blood pumpin’ better than coffee. But coffee is good too. immortalbird.bandcamp.com/album/empress-abscess
5. Sons of Huns – While Sleeping Stay Awake (RidingEasy): Garage/stoner rock with members of Danava. Amazing, amazing stuff. sonsofhuns.com/album/while-sleeping-stay-awake
Still working my way through the Amtrak Wars by Patrick Tilley. I’m on Book 5: Death-Bringer.
1. Welcome to Sky Valley – Kyuss. Delivers the smoking hot, grooviest riffs this side of any Desert and will keep your head nodding while cruising with the top down.
2. White Pony – Deftones. The cure to your end of summer blues, these Kings of Pain bringer the listener so much solace it’s hard to tell why they were heartbroken in the the first place
3. Valley of Smoke – Intronaut. This progressive album is a grower that blends stoner, jazz and technical sounds to keep you chilling on the beach, water or patio for endless hours while enjoying your favourite vice of choice; it is also the perfect soundtrack to summer star gazing!
4. Success – Ken Mode. Looking for a party and rock out album for your backyard BBQ or patio bash look no further. Combining noise, indie and punk for a mix that will have friends bouncing and moving to the catchiness it displays – let’s just hope no one gets hurt stagediving off your roof jumping into the pool or lake!
5. Hvis lyset tar oss – Burzum. If it’s too hot for you this summer you can always throw on some Black metal and hope that the tones bring you down to those cold, chilling, bleak and dark feelings that some of us feeling during the Canadian Winter.
Other notables have been the new Paradise Lost and Gruesome LPs.
Most anticipated is, of course… the new My Dying Bride LP (which I have preordered on LP and CD) and the new Hooded Menace (which I plan on getting in all 3 LP colours).
My top 5 for this summer is:
1. Ancient Moon – Vvltvre
2. Kommandant – The Architects of Extermination
3. Failure – The Heart is a Monster
4. Goat Torment – Sermons to Death
5. Sweat Lodge – Talismana
For fall I am definitely looking forward to the new Revenge album. That is my most anticipated release at the moment.
As for a movie recommendation, I’d have to go with The End of the Tour. It’s a movie that’s based on a true story, includes journalism and partially takes place where I live!
TV SHOW: Nashville
BOOK: Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff
Anticipating: new Iron Maiden, Motorhead and Wilco albums
1. Cattle Decapitation – The Anthropocene Extinction (Metal Blade)
2. Royal Thunder – Crooked Doors (Relapse)
3. Imperial Triumphant – Abyssal Gods (Code 666)
4. Dead Quiet – Dead Quiet (Self Released)
5. Graveyard – Innocence & Decadence (Nuclear Blast)
Considering my list, it’s no surprise that I’m most looking forward to checking out the Cattle Decapitation show in Toronto next month. Having Black Crown Initiate and Dark Sermon as openers is just icing on the cake.
Summer Reading: Revival by Stephen King
Summer soundtrack has included:
Leprous – The Congregation
Patsy Cline – the Definitive Collection
Faith No More – from The Real Thing to Sol Invictus and everything between
Riverside – Love, Fear & the Machine
Jungle Rot discography on shuffle
mass-market detective fiction featuring cats (thanks, Hamilton Public Library audiobook collection)
Björk – Vulnicura
David Maxim Micic – Bilo 3.0
Mesarthim – Isolate mesarthim.bandcamp.com/album/isolate
Warning – Watching From a Distance
Leprous – The Congregation
Anticipating: Iron Maiden – The Book of Souls
Recommended Viewing: It Follows (David Robert Mitchell); Sense8 (Netflix)
And a late addition…
Summer 2015 Top Five:
1. Immortal Bird – Empress / Abscess (Manatee Rampage)
2. Myrkyr – M (Relapse)
3. Undergang – døden læger alle sår (Dark Descent)
4. Year of the Goat – The Unspeakable (Napalm)
5. Noisem – (A389)
Anticipating (in no particular order):
Deafheaven – New Bermuda (Anti)
Christian Mistress – To Your Death (Relapse)
Cult of Occult – Five Degrees of Insanity (Vendetta)
Avatarium – The Girl With The Raven Mask (Nuclear Blast)
Cruciamentum – Charnel Passages (Profound Lore)